what we do
Carsel & Ayves provides a variety of consulting services to attorneys, jails, prisons, government agencies and insurance carriers. We specialize in training for jails, prisons, and probation agencies on preventing in-custody suicides both in adult and juvenile facilities.
We provide expert witness services and consult on cases related to jail and prison
litigation. Subject matter expertise includes:
- Jail and prison management
- Inmate custody and management practices
- Correctional policies and procedures
- Inmate classification
- In-custody death incidents
- In-custody suicides
- Use of force incidents
- Excessive force
- Inmate transportation
- Emergency response in jails and prisons
- Prison and jail riots
- Prison gangs and gang management
- Electronic monitoring and home arrest
- Administrative after-action review
- In-custody death investigation
- Operational security procedures
- Staff training (Click here for more info)
- Restrictive housing/Administrative segregation
- Inmate unit management
- Negligence in hiring and retention in correctional facilities
- Correctional staff discipline
- Staff investigations
- Correctional medical care and privatized medical services
- PREA related issues
- RLUIPA and religious rights of prisoners
If you have significant experience in the field of corrections and probation and would like to work as a consultant or trainer, we would like to hear from you.
Please contact us here.
How can we help?
- “My firm retained Lenard on a jail death case. He is very knowledgeable on the topic of jail suicides and provided an expert report which considered all the facts and gave us a perspective that can only be given by someone who has excellent subject matter expertise.”
- “We have asked Mr. Vare to provide Rule 26 reports on several deaths in custody cases. We have been very pleased with his work and the quality of his reports,”
- “We hired Lenard Vare on a jail use of force case and he wrote a comprehensive report and proved to be an expert on jail management practices.”
- “Mr. Vare does outstanding work. We defended a condition of confinement case. He has extensive hands-on experience in the field and provided a detailed, well-supported, and complete report. He understands the issues, is well prepared and timely. Fees are reasonable and appropriate.”
- “Our juvenile probation department was seeking an expert on in-custody suicides and we found Mr. Vare via an online search. He was able to provide our agency with suicide prevention training and we have had him as a trainer number of times. Because he has worked in the system and understands the day-to-day experiences of corrections staff, he is able to make the training interesting and relevant.”
- “Mr. Vare conducted a department-wide training and helped train over 400 deputies at our jail on topics related to inmate management. A very skilled trainer who uses humor and real-life experiences in teaching his course. Would highly recommend it.”
lenard vare - principal consultant
Lenard Vare has over 28 years of practical experience in inmate management in both jails and prisons. He was a senior warden in the state of Nevada for four years before serving as a jail administrator in the state of California for 10 years. After retiring from public service, he worked as the Chief Operations Officer over an international electronic monitoring company which provided treatment and day reporting centers to various sheriffs and probation agencies.
Lenard’s expertise is in inmate classification, program design, high-risk inmate transportation, crisis negotiations, organizational development and training law enforcement and correctional personnel in topics related to inmate management. He has served as a criminal investigator and hostage/crisis negotiator, supervised fugitive recovery teams, conducted internal affairs investigations, and operated community-based correctional facilities.
Lenard has also served as criminal justice faculty teaching courses at the undergraduate level at local colleges. He is a certified jail manager (CJM) and a certified project management professional (PMP). He holds a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice administration and a master’s degree in justice management.
carsel & ayves
If you are an agency seeking training on preventing suicides in jails and prisons, please follow the link for information regarding the training program.
If you are an attorney seeking an expert/consultant for a jail or prison litigation case, please fill out the section below and we will contact you within 48 Hours.